Sunday, January 9, 2011

A lesson in equality

This actually happened to me a few days ago.  I only now got to positing it.

I have been hanging out with the Sisters at the Latexia II temple.  They are some very wonderful people, always friendly and helpful.  At this point, I am too young to join the Sisterhood, but that does not mean I cannot learn their ways, their teaching or socialize with them.

I was socializing in the rack area this morning, socializing and chatting with one of the current perspectives.  While I was there, we had a new visitor to the area.  We started talking various topics when it was pointed out to me by one of the Sisters, a MistressDoll, that the person was new to the Second Life realms.  She suggested I might be helpful by offering take the visitor locations for free items and such.

The Sister then showed me the Eight Obediences and requested to recite them.  While I would not say I have the memorized, I have been familiarizing myself with them during my visits to the temple.  The Sister, who is one I have been developing a friendship with, pointed out Obedience VIII: Obedience to helpfulness.

I thanked the Sister and proceeded to provide the visitor with some trumps to some helpful locations to get some new items, went ahead to one, and brought her to the location.

I know that on the surface, it might seem a lesson in helpfulness.  Upon reflection it was also a lesson on V: Obedience to equality, and a very profound one.  The Sister in question had a responsibility to remain where she was.  The MistressDoll was acting as a guardian to the Prospective who was engaging her trial.  The Sister could not leave the location to help out this visitor.  And so she asked me to it, just as she would have asked any of the SlaveDolls, whose duty, in part, is to serve as extensions of will for the MistressDolls.

To ask me to fulfill such a role, the MistressDoll saw me as an equal to any other in their order.  And not only that, but that the visitor, barely two days old, was seen as an equal, deserving of the full respect and support of any other Sister.  This visitor was her equal as well.  The MistressDoll’s may seem distant and aloof, but only because they have different duties and responsibilities they must attend to.

On reflection I realized that Obedience to equality does not only extend to members of the order, but all, inside and outside the order are equal.

Each of the Obediences interlocks and supports the others, as well at being reflected in the latex.  In this case, the adherence to helpfulness is built upon the foundation of seeing all as equal.  And that helpfulness in turn builds a sense of equality.

The MistressDoll, by seeing me as an equal to any other Sister for the task, help me to understand those two Obediences a little more deeply.  This lession as well as helped me to feel both special as simply part of the collective that is the Sisterhood as a whole.  And that feeling of not-special-specialness is something that makes me so deeply content and at home, I cannot even begin to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment