Saturday, April 5, 2014

Way to be Less Accessible Second Life

So while I am waiting around for my operator, I decided to check out setting up a joystick to use for Second Life. I have a Rock Candy 360 type controller I have used to play Fallout and a few other games on my laptop, so I figured it would be perfect.

*laughs* well not so much it turns out.

While I could get it set up for things like movement and camera movement, I can't really get the X T B, D-Pad, or bumpers configured to do anything. Which is really too bad.

And then I found out there is a joystick Linden Labs does recommend for use with Second Life (and for which it is configured to use).  The 3Dconnexion SpacePilot.

Any guess on what this lovely piece of hardware costs? Anywhere from $225 to $300, US. And it's not even deigned like a controller most people use anymore.

Yeah no...

So instead of making SL easily accessible utilizing hardware most of have access to or can afford, LL has chosen to almost exclusively support hardware which is simply too expensive and impractical for a large number of folks out there who might otherwise come in for a bit. That LL's target market is for folks who can afford something like the SpacePilot as their joystick means of interfacing certainly explains the pricing structure for things like land and such.

Now I am sure there is some way to get the unused buttons to do something (I would hope anyway?) - like maybe jump or touch or sit or space bar - but I've not been able to find it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment